Sunday, December 5, 2010

Postcrossing

I do this little thing called postcrossing. Anyone can sign up and join (postcrossing.com) and how it works is that when you sign up, you enter your mailing address and then someone else from anywhere in the world will mail you a postcard. In order to receive more postcards, you then have to mail cards out yourself. So it's like one giant chain. One giant, continuous, awesome, don't let it die fool, chain.


In the past four months, I have received postcards from China, Finland, Denmark, Greece, Kentucky, Thailand, and a couple more, and every single one of them has a unique person or story behind it. 


My favorite one is a beautiful, luxurious card from Russia. The sender lived in a city called Ekaterinburg (located in the Ural Mountains), and it was quite a shock to me because the characters of my favorite book (The Bronze Horseman. Best. Book. Ever.) lived very near there. Small world right? 
One of the rooms of the museum, "The Hermitage"

But an encounter with another card was really funny. It depicted these, interesting round things all over the front, and it wasn't until I read the card that I realized it was from Gouda, Netherlands. You know. Where they make GOUDA CHEESE?????? And then to top it all off, I, in my stupidity, thought that the card took 4 months to arrive. So when I notified the sender, he reminded me that the dates in Europe are written backwards, and it had arrived in 2 days. *Facepalm*


But the point of this post was that postcrossing really provides the opportunity to connect with the world. Plus, how cool is it to receive a surprise in your mailbox now and then?

My wall map with all of my postcards so far 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog